Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mother of Dance

I actually saw a dance video of Martha Graham at school as a kid, this was just a few months in since immigrating to Canada. I did not understand the dance, until i befriended a friend who was a contemporary dancer, it was then that i revisited my memories of the dance video long ago. I like dancing, the very nature of dance is fascinating to me, it is like another form of language, the movements become your communication. Nobody did this better then Martha Graham who is considered the Mother of Dance. The homage to her as seen on Google should illustrate how important she was in the world of dance, she choreographed over 180 dances. How she translates words to dance is so easy to understand yet profoundly philosophical at the same time, she was a deep thinker and had a beautiful mind. It is a novelty to see her dances in person back in the day, as she never allowed recordings of her work at play.

No comments:

Post a Comment